Ham is really versatile meat, serve it hot with parsley sauce or cold with salad. Add it to pasta or rice. Leftover Ham Pate is the recipe for the little bit of ham that is left over. Not quite enough to stretch to another family meal, perhaps a bit awkward to cut as it’s too small.
Ingredients for Leftover Ham Pate
The main ingredients for the recipe are cooked ham and cottage or curd cheese. If you don’t have the exact quantities that I give in the recipe, use double the weight of ham to cottage cheese.
Add a teaspoon of honey for a little sweetness. You won’t notice the sweet taste but it brings out the sweetness in the ham.
The cream is optional in this recipe. I had some in the fridge and it does add a little luxury, but if you don’t have any you can leave it out.
Add a teaspoon of Dijon Mustard to the pate. Ham and mustard complement each other very well.
Other flavourings to try (use two, one sweet and one sharp)
- Try adding creamed horseradish instead of mustard or use grain mustard.
- A teaspoon of lemon juice will add a fresh flavour.
- Cranberry Sauce makes a good substitute for honey if you are using Leftover Ham from Christmas.
- Chopped gherkins or other pickles
- Chutney or Relish
Leftover Ham Pate is not just for spreading. I topped a baked potato with some of the ham pate and served with a simple tomato and basil salad.
It’s a great way to use up leftover ham it also extends it much further than serving it sliced.
More Ham Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Slow Cooker Ham in Ginger Beer such an easy recipe and it tastes so good.
Easy Slice Slow Cooker Ham for Cold Cuts. Learn my secrets for the best compact ham for slicing.
Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder, a thick creamy soup with pieces of cooked ham added.
Leftover Ham Pate
- Food Processor
- 600 g baked or boiled ham diced
- 300 g cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp whipping cream optional
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Whizz the ham in the food processor until chopped small, add the other ingredients and whizz until mixed.
- Pack into a dish or box cover and chill.