Easy Festive Apple and Mincemeat Streusel Muffins are simply made with ingredients you probably already have in your larder. You can make them to serve for Christmas breakfast or as a sweet treat at any time of day. I think you’ll love them!
What is mincemeat?
Mincemeat is a rich mixture of dried fruits, spices, apples, citrus zest and juice, alcohol and suet or butter.
Is there meat in mincemeat?
Originally, there was meat in mincemeat as well as the dried fruit and spices. This is how it got its name. The meat element was gradually replaced with beef suet.
I use vegetable suet but you can also use butter. This means the mincemeat is also suitable for vegetarians.
Can I make my own mincemeat?
Yes, mincemeat is surprisingly easy to make at home.
Try these recipes for Slow Cooker Mincemeat with Ginger, Easy Chocolate Mincemeat or Chocolate Cherry Mincemeat from
Can I buy mincemeat?
You can buy jars of mincemeat in groceries and supermarkets, in the UK.
Like most things, homemade is much nicer, but you can improve bought mincemeat by adding a tablespoon of brandy and a grated apple to the mixture before including in your recipe.
How to make Festive Apple and Mincemeat Streusel Muffins
Put the flour, oats, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix them together.
In another bowl, beat the egg and stir in the milk and oil, then gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
I used my Easy Slow Cooker Mincemeat with Ginger to make the muffins, but if you don’t have homemade mincemeat then you can get some really good mincemeat in groceries and supermarkets
Add the mincemeat and the chopped apple and gently fold into the muffin mixture. I used windfall apples from my apple tree, but any firm eating apple would be suitable.
Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases and fill to the top, then sprinkle 1 tsp of the Streusel mixture onto each of the muffins and bake.
Easy Festive Apple and Mincemeat Streusel Muffins have a crisp sweet topping, then you break through into the soft muffins filled with juicy pieces of apple and mincemeat fruits.
PIN FOR LATER
Are we connected?
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Easy Festive Apple and Mincemeat Streusel Muffins
- 75 g self-raising flour
- 50 g porridge oats
- 140 g light muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg beaten
- 150 ml milk
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 125 g chopped apple
- 175 g mincemeat
- 25 g plain flour
- 50 g light muscovado sugar
- 25 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Line a muffin pan with paper cases
Prepare the Streusel Topping
- Put the flour and butter in a bowl and cutting in the butter, then rubbing it in until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar
- Leave to one side.
To make the Muffins
- Put the flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix them well together.
- In another bowl, beat the egg, stir in the milk and oil.
- Gently stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, with a metal spoon or spatula, until the flour is 'just' mixed.
- Fold in the chopped apple and mincemeat.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, filling them to the brim.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a teaspoon of the Streusel mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden.
More recipes using mincemeat
Cheat’s Stollen Croissants 2 ways – Fab Food 4 All
Mini Mince Pie Puffs – Eats Amazing
Mincemeat and Apple Shortcake Slice – Family Friends Food
Pear and Mincemeat Strudel – Tinned Tomatoes