What is Mincemeat?
Mincemeat is a rich mixture of dried fruits, spices, apples, citrus zest and juice, alcohol and suet or butter.
Is there meat in Mincemeat?
Originally, there was meat in mincemeat as well as the dried fruit and spices. This is how it got its name. The meat element was gradually replaced with beef suet.
I use vegetable suet but you can also use butter. This means the mincemeat is also suitable for vegetarians.
No time to make mince pies?
It can get really hectic in the lead up to the holiday season. You might be entertaining friends or family on a night when you have been at work all day. Or perhaps you have been out shopping for gifts, there are so many things to do.
All you need for this recipe is a pack of ready rolled puff pastry sheets, a jar of ready-made mincemeat. The rest of the ingredients you will probably have in your larder.
- Make your own mincemeat, it’s really easy and when you make ‘Instant Chocolate Mincemeat’ you can use it straight away or keep a jar n the fridge.
- Grate some orange zest into the mincemeat to add a fresh citrus zing.
- Add some alcohol to your mincemeat. Brandy is traditional, but port, rum, whisky or your favourite liqueur will add a depth of flavour to your Mincemeat Sausage Rolls.
- Add chopped chocolate to the mincemeat. If you are not using my Instant Chocolate Mincemeat, add some chopped chocolate to bought or plain homemade mincemeat.
How to make Easy Mincemeat Sausage Rolls
Put the mincemeat into a bowl and mix in the ground almonds, brandy or other alcohol and a beaten egg. The almonds and egg help to bind the mincemeat together and hold it in the sausage roll.
Divide the pastry in half lengthways, then divide the mincemeat mixture between the two strips of pastry. Sprinkle on the orange zest if using.
Beat the second egg and brush egg wash on the long edges of the pastry.
More Mincemeat Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Chocolate Mincemeat Tart is a deep filled and delicious large tart filled with chocolate mincemeat. It makes a great dessert served with cream or ice cream.
Easy Festive Apple and Mincemeat Streusel Muffins are packed full of flavour with a light sponge muffin and a crisp streusel topping.
Mor Mincemeat Bakes
Are we connected?
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Easy Mincemeat Sausage Rolls
- 375 g Ready rolled puff pastry
- 300 g Instant chocolate mincemeat approximately
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1 orange grated zest
- 1 tbsp brandy or port
- Put the mincemeat in a bowl, mix in one beaten egg. 1 tbsp port and 2 tbsp of ground almonds.
- Divide the pastry into two long rectangles. Divide the mincemeat mixture between the two strips of pastry.
- Beat the other egg and brush egg wash around the edges. Sprinkle the mincemeat with grated orange zest.
- Fold the pastry over and press with a fork, brush with egg wash and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 200C for 10-15 minutes until puffed up and golden.
- Leave to cool slightly, then serve dusted with icing sugar.