Slow Cooker Ham for Cold Cuts is a recipe that is so very simple and yet really rather clever.
A slow cooker is great for cooking a joint of ham but the meat tends to fall to bits because it is so tender. This is fine when you are serving the ham warm, but when you want slices of cold ham you really want them to hold together.
How do you keep the ham for falling to pieces?
I learned this trick at a cookery demonstration, and I’m going to share it with you.
Cook the ham according to the recipe at the end of this page. Lift it out of the liquid while it is still warm then lay it onto a double layer of cling film (plastic wrap), and wrap it really tightly.
Add another two layers of cling film and wrap the ham tightly until the meat is compact and sealed. Put the meat into the fridge to cool. When the ham is completely cold, unwrap it and it will cut into perfect slices once cold.
How to serve the ham
- Ham is a very versatile meat with very little waste. Once compressed the ham can be sliced, wrapped in foil and reheated in the oven. Or you can cover and reheat in the microwave.
- Serve the meat cold with salad or use to make sandwiches. Small pieces can be chopped in the food processor to make Ham Pate.
- Add ham to a seasonal soup like this Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder
- Add to a creamy leek and pasta sauce for a simple pasta bake.
More Slow Cooker Ham Recipes at Farmersgirl Kitchen
Slow Cooker Spiced Ham combines the zesty flavour of oranges and lemons with warming spices.
Slow Cooker Ham in Ginger Beer bumps up the flavour by cooking the ham in either alcoholic or non-alcoholic ginger beer. Serve the ham with new potatoes, cauliflower and parsley sauce.
Slow Cooker Gammon Recipes
Slow Cooker Maple Glazed Gammon from Baking Queen 74
2 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pulled Gammon (shredded ham) from Fab Food 4 All
PIN FOR LATER
Are we connected?
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Slow Cooker Ham for Cold Cuts
- 2.5 kg Ham or gammon joint
- 500 ml water
- Place the ham into the slow cooker
- Pour the water into the slow cooker
- Cook for 4-5 hours
- When cooked lift out carefully with large forks or spoons and dry off on kitchen paper.
- Lay out a double layer of cling film (saran wrap) long enough to wrap twice around the ham, place the ham on the cling film and wrap tightly in the film.
- Cover tightly with another layer of cling film if needed.
- Allow to cool in the fridge until completely cold (overnight).
- Unwrap and slice as required.